Diabetes is a condition that is affecting around fifty million populations in India. The increasing number of diabetics in the country has even cause concern with the World Health Organizations. The number is also rising among children and young adults making the situation worse.
Diabetes as a disease can lead to several other health complications as given below.
- Cardiovascular disease – Diabetes can increase risks of several cardiovascular conditions. It increases chances of heart attack, stroke, and narrowing of heart arteries.
- Nerve damage (neuropathy) – Presence of excess sugar in the blood system can affect the walls of the blood vessels that nourish the nerves. Different parts of body especially the limbs can be affected by it resulting in numbness and/or pain that generally begins at the tips of toes and fingers and spread upwards.
- Kidney damage (nephropathy) – Diabetes can affect functioning of kidney leading to kidney failure and kidney disease. The patient may need dialysis at the final stage.
- Eye damage (retinopathy) – Diabetes can damage the blood vessels in retina and damage it which can lead to blindness. It can also worsen conditions like cataract and glaucoma.
- Foot damage – Nerve damage and blood vessel damage in foot can lead to serious conditions. It can aggravate cuts and blisters and lead to infection.
- Skin conditions – Diabetes serious damage healing ability of the body. Diabetic patients are more prone to bacterial and fungal infections, delayed healing of cuts and bruises.
- Hearing impairment – Diabetic patients can develop hearing impairment.
Diabetes can lead to several health conditions in children such as - continuous obesity, cardiovascular complaints, hypertension, dyslipidemia, atherosclerosis, and polycystic ovarian syndrome even if the patient is young.
Once you are diagnosed with diabetes you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle that would keep the condition under control. Apart from medication doctor may urge you to follow proper diet and prescribe exercise. Our doctors will help you with lifestyle and dietary change along with prescribing medications to control blood sugar.
Dr. Sumanth Specialty Clinic offers special treatment for diabetes. We have a Diabetologist - doctor specialized in treating diabetes. The doctor has a special expertise in dealing with diabetes in pregnancy situations. It is your single roof solutions for all your health care needs.